You must be logged in to use the forums. Don't have an account? Sign up for free.
Remember me
Snoobster
#0 September 29th, 19:22

Back-up gaming files?

I know there have been other threads addressing upgrading the disk space, but could there potentially be a short-term fix by backing up steam games? Therefore when people uninstall them, they can relocate the files of the games they want to play last without losing any progress? Would this be possible without backing up the entire thing, or?

Just a thought. :)

Last edited: September 29th, 19:22

Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Staff
#1 September 30th, 07:29
That's a great suggestion. Are you referring to backing up the entire gamedata or just the savegames etc. (for progress)?

Snoobster
#2 September 30th, 21:49
@RuneDalton Hi Rune,

I'm referring to the savegames. The download speed which we are given is plenty enough to quickly redownload the game - at least in my opinion.

I think the most unattractive thing right now is potentially uninstalling a game and having your save files lost. I'm not too sure whether this is a strict Steam thing as I know some games already have cloud storage on Steam. If you guys can somehow find a work around and have temporary storage for save files on all the games, I think it'll work as a long-term solution to a short-term problem.

Staff
#3 October 4th, 14:12
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. We will prioritise some more backup options for savegames. Is there a particular game you have seen this happen to? Some games store their savegames in unusual places, so it would be very helpful to know which game you have seen losing savegame files, so we can properly investigate the issue and develop a solution for it. Thanks! :)

Showing 1-3 of 3 comments