You must be logged in to use the forums. Don't have an account? Sign up for free.
Remember me
Snoobster
#0 July 1st, 15:57

Day 2 of free trial, Haven't even gotten in...?

I've been looking for alternatives to another similar cloud gaming service (they're also in early access, but the PR/business model is getting more and more uh, frightening...) and I was looking to try this out! 3 day trial? Sweet!

Uuuuunfortunately I've tried several times yesterday and today to get in, with no luck... I get placed in the queue (5-7 minutes) then it says Initializing network (~10 minutes) then Loading games (~5 minutes, but it says its loading 600 games??) then Loading Steam, followed by Updating Steam (yea every time, another 5 minutes) then just loading for a minute or two, then it gets stuck at Establishing connection for about 20+ minutes (at some point an error message flashes along the bottom too fast for me to read "failed to something something cloud something") and by the time I get in, I've timed out, and gotten kicked back to login...

This is the free trial, mind you. My first impression. I've never actually seen a desktop or gameplay.

Is the chrome extension the only option? dont get me wrong, chrome is great n' all, but its not exactly... stable... and it hogs memory like crazy. do i need to keep chrome itself open or just that extension? (I closed the browser but the extension stayed up)

If this is anywhere near a normal startup (~30-40 minutes) I could have myself a small gaming session while I wait for my gaming session

(extra note: I typically have ~80mbps down, speed test here says 30+, still more than enough - and im on 5ghz wifi, no packet loss. I dont even know my ping because it never gets to a screen where I can test that, but suffice to say, my connection is pretty fast/stable. I'm on the US East servers)

Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Snoobster
#1 July 1st, 16:28
Okay I got in, but... its... still odd sometimes...? like, I'll hit steam, it'll go through all the loading, then go back to the main menu.

I have to hit Steam like 4-6 times until it finally says "opening stream" and lets me in

also HDD space is too small for DOOM which is a HUGE -1 for me, since I can only play DOOM either at my friend's house or on a cloud rig. like I dont mind having to install it every time i wanna play it, because the DL speed is bonkers, and I'm not using up credit of any kind launching the stream just to dl the game, but i gotta say, 60gb isn't enough for a lot of new games on the horizon... (1 game, let alone, 2 or more)

Games are getting pretty big. Hell, if witcher 3 was made in 2017 instead of '15, it would probably be 100+gb

Staff
#2 July 3rd, 09:41
@Rychopath Hi there :-) Glad you got in.

We are constantly working to make the client better, and this of course goes for any known bugs, but also optimisation for streaming, CPU usage and more. Although Chrome does in fact, as you say, sometimes clog up the memory, it does not mean that it cannot be optimised, and we are making small tweaks all the time which will improve on the experience.

In regards to the space available for games, we are aware of the wish for more space and have some experiments cooking in the lab which. Stay tuned, as this is definitely on our radar! :)

Snoobster
#3 July 3rd, 13:28
@RuneDalton Ah, thanks for the reply! The only other thing I noticed was the latency. I only tested two games on a controller; Dead Cells (because it's fast-paced) and Witcher 3. It actually seemed like it was more noticeable in W3, which is strange, given that DC is a much twitchier game? Although, I noticed when I was playing W3, the server status for my region was "Heavy Traffic" -- would that affect latency?

Staff
#4 July 3rd, 15:44
@RuneDalton Ah, thanks for the reply! The only other thing I noticed was the latency. I only tested two games on a controller; Dead Cells (because it's fast-paced) and Witcher 3. It actually seemed like it was more noticeable in W3, which is strange, given that DC is a much twitchier game? Although, I noticed when I was playing W3, the server status for my region was "Heavy Traffic" -- would that affect latency? - Rychopath
Nope, the traffic on our servers shouldn't affect latency, only availability. We have been testing Witcher 3 with great success, but there may be other factors involved if you experience any latency issues with that particular game. We'll try to investigate those games. If you have any other details on the issues which may help (such as device, connection etc.) that would definitely be helpful in our troubleshooting. :)

Thank you.

Snoobster
#5 August 7th, 18:48
Hi, more than one month after your feedback, I am currently starting to test Snoost right now with their 3-days trial. I had to wait 23 minutes in order to be able to launch Steam (17 minutes for both the Queue and the "Initializing network" step).

And then I had to wait for 22 more minutes only to get stuck on an Nvidia GameStream loading screen).

So it was 45 minutes total for nothing, because then I had to leave and shut down my computer.

This is way too much time, even if I did launch a game guys, and I did not. I see no improvements since the post of Rychopath a month ago, it seems to be even worse. No way I am paying for this now...

Showing 1-5 of 5 comments